Prompt: Breaking Up with Writer's Block

This piece was originally written May 29, 2014.

Breaking Up With Writer's Block
It's time for you and Writer's Block to part ways. Write a letter breaking up with Writer's Block, starting out with, "Dear Writer's Block, it's not you, it's me..."

____________________________

Dearest Writer's Block,
It's not you, it's me... I know it's cliché as ever to say that, but that's what you've brought me to... over-used clichés, similes, and metaphors... I've been reduced to tired old writings that have no spark, no imagination, no drive, and definitely no passion. I miss our passion, Writer's Block, what happened?

I feel like you've become this hulking shadow in my life, draining me of energy, draining me of time, and draining me of lust. Yes, lust. Writer's Block, remember when lust drove us to late nights in our bedroom, the glow of the computer screen and the soft rhythmic tapping of fingers across the keyboard our only source of light and sound? Remember what a magical time that was?

I miss those times. I miss searching for the right word for hours, poring over every line of text, wanting it to sound so perfect when now I can't even begin an introduction without you interrupting and wasting all my time with your own fears and insecurities.

Writer's Block, I'm finding as I write more of this letter, that I misled you. I made it sound like I was the problem, but really... it's you. A combination of your tired, sluggish domineering need to be involved in my writing life mixed with being overworked in my 9 to 5... how can I even dream of finding my imaginative, excitable, enjoyable writing persona?

No more, Writer's Block. No more shall I fall under the tyranny of you. We're through, Writer's Block. I hope you understand. I wish you all the best in life. You'll find someone who will see you as a welcome challenge, an obstacle to overcome, heck, they may even know the way to conquer and tame you! What a pair you'd be!

Go out and find your bliss, Writer's Block. I'm on the path to finding mine, walking away from you. It's been real, as the kids say, Writer's Block.

All the best,
Gina Z. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Authors OF ALL TIME

Books I Read in 2020

Books I Read in 2023