Nanowrimo 2019



Last year was my first successful year completing a 50,000 word novel in 30 days to become an official winner of Nanowrimo 2018. If you've never heard of Nanowrimo, definitely check out their website: click here. Essentially, it's an online challenge to write 50,000 words starting on November 1 and ending November 30th. They also host "camps" twice a year to revise and edit existing works or to embark on writing challenges of your own.

You may find yourself wondering, "But what's the value in completing a challenge where only you know you've won?" For me, I found value in Nanowrimo by taking part in the camaraderie and the community, commiserating with the other writers sweating and struggling and cheering you on. Turns out that in my hometown, Nanowrimo has a thriving following with write-ins going on all over the city and it's an exciting thing to be a part of.

And so, I am already looking forward to 2019! I know it's now only July.. hot, sticky July and nowhere near crisp Autumn winds November, but I'm already gearing up with preparations and situating myself in the writing state-of-mind. I plan to document and blog about my experience this year right here on Writerlust.




So far, all I've done is poke around a bit on Scrivener, setting up a New Project titled: Nanowrimo 2019. Already, my creativity is astounding, I know. I've chosen a project to flesh out in the hopes that it can be my Nanowrimo novel this year. It has to do with vampires, and yes, I know that genre is getting a little worn, but I feel like I might have a fresh, fun take on it that I will enjoy sinking my teeth into.

Get it?

Sink my teeth into? Because they're vampires?

If you don't get it, it's fine, I'll enjoy it enough for the both of us.

I am also taking the time to read some of the writing-related books I own that have been sitting on my shelf patiently waiting for my writer's bug to strike again. Last year, I read the following textbooks about writing:


1. Stephen King's On Writing: I am ashamed to admit that I didn't finish this book completely. I endeavor to read it in it's entirety, it is chock full of amazing writing advice from one of the world's most prolific and successful writers, but for some reason, I didn't quite finish the book. I did take his 14 Tips for Writing and paste it into my research notebook for last year's Nanowrimo and if you don't know those 14 Tips, I advise you have a quick Goog and check them out. But also read his book. Do as I say, not as I do, as the adage goes.
2. Plot & Structure by James Scott Bell: This book was one I couldn't put down, I studiously took notes and highlighted and absorbed and I plan to re-read all of my notes before diving too far into research and reading for this year's Nanowrimo. There was a ton of valuable information in here and I enjoyed doing the writing exercises throughout the book. They really got me thinking critically about my writing. I highly recommend. I'm reading another book in this 'series' in preparation for this year's Nanowrimo, as a matter of fact. More on that later.
3. A Writer's Tool Kit by Carroll Dale Short: Don't ask me why all of these reference books for writer's have authors with three names. Should I go by all three names as an author? I don't hate the idea... Anyway, that is not my takeaway from this book! This book is comprised of 12 'tested, proven approaches' from the author and they are things that you may have never thought about. They are well explained and clear and I took a lot away from this book. The valuable notes I took are definitely getting a sturdy look over as well.
4. Neil Gaiman's "Make Good Art" speech: This isn't a book, it's the text from Neil Gaiman's speech about making good art. I recommend anyone and everyone giving this a read. It's very inspirational and I've listened to enough interviews and audio books with Gaiman's voice that I can hear him speaking this speech as I read it. There is also video of this on Youtube if you're a more visual/audio person.

For this year, after reviewing the notes from the books above, I am setting out on a journey to read more books about writing. Why? I feel that it is always important to keep learning, always. Don't ever assume that you know everything and you can't possibly pick up some new knowledge or a nifty trick from books about a topic you are pursuing as a hobby or even a career (as writing is for me). I love to learn and when it's a topic I'm passionate about, it doesn't feel like work, ever.

So far, I've dipped my toes into these books and have a few more waiting in the wings for this year:
1. The Kick-Ass Writer by Chuck Wendig: I started this book last year, and it's not so much a book as a series of lists. It's hard to explain, but the book is very funny as well as being informative, and I do recommend it!
2. Characters, Emotion, & Viewpoint by Nancy Kress: So far, I am enjoying this book as it continues in the same vein as Plot & Structure but with a different author's advice and point of view. Nancy does a great job of breaking down exactly why character is so very important and gives great exercises and examples for bringing your characters to life, making them deeper and more meaningful, and just making sure your characters are strong enough to carry the story and propel the plot.
3. The Forest for the Trees: An Editor's Advice to Writers by Betsy Lerner: I have barely started this book but so far I am excited to dive in because it looks like it will be full of great information from the editor/publisher point of view which any writer looking to be published will find beneficial!

So stay tuned as I read up on writing, flesh out my fledgling plot and characters, and get myself revved up and ready to go for Nanowrimo 2019! Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Authors OF ALL TIME

Books I Read in 2020

Books I Read in 2023