Books I Read in 2021

 


Here we are again, fellow readers, where I recap the books I've read over the past year. This year has been trying, to say the least. But I've fit in fiction where I can, some inspiring non-fiction, and books on craft, and I've found some great reads! I started out the year with a challenge to myself to only read books by female authors. Don't ask me why, I'm not that sure. I just wanted to expand my horizons and support women in writing! But I got a bit discouraged when I discovered that one or two of the books I'd read had actually been written by men with female pennames. Ugh. And then when the horror bug bit me, as it always does around autumn and Halloween, I read more male authors than I initially intended this year.... But anyway! Here are my thoughts on the books I read this year.

Total Books Read: 33

Thrillers: 6

Horror: 11

Non-Fiction: 7

Female-Driven Stories: 8

Romance: 1

The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn

A.J. Finn snuck onto my list, I actually started reading this book late 2020, but finished it in 2021. So don't hold it against me that this book was written by a male author when I had vowed to read only books by female authors this year. The book was incredibly engaging. The concept of an unreliable narrator, when done well, will have you questioning your own mental abilities. Am I reliable as a reader? The plot was twisty and interesting, a great edge-of-the-seat thriller with a narrator that is completely incapable of making sense of her own world, let alone guiding a reader to the logical conclusion. One must sift through the clues and context and figure it all out on their own. It's a wild ride, I highly recommend!

To the Power of Three by Laura Lippman
I have been a fan of Lippman's for a few years now, discovering her randomly on a best seller's bookshelf at my local library. Her gripping mystery/suspense/thrillers are always fun to read. I especially love how real her characters feel. She makes sure they jump off the page, sit beside you, and gasp and groan right alongside you as you go on the rollercoaster of discovery within their lives. This book follows a trio of high school girlfriends after one of them brings a gun to school. I couldn't wait to find out what really happened and unravel the mystery of who was ultimately responsible! I will always recommend Lippman to any thriller enthusiasts, she's one of my top favorites!

What Would Dolly Do? How to Be a Diamond in a Rhinestone World by Lauren Marino
Lifelong Dolly Parton fan here. From "Jolene" to the "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas," I have loved this woman unconditionally. Everything about her resonates with me. Her upbringing, her style and flair, the way she carries herself. If I could meet any celebrity, it would be her. If I could BE any celebrity, it would be her. This book was a fun ride, as the author took Dolly's life and sifted through it for life lessons we can all learn from. It lost me toward the end when it started talking about exercise and diet regimens (without the book being officially endorsed by Dolly, it eeks me out to assume what she would or wouldn't advise when it comes to that sort of thing). But the rest of the book was a great read if for nothing else than learning more about my favorite musician.

Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams
The bright cover of this book shot it off the shelves and into my hands. The very first page describes a gynecologists' appointment with such humor and straightforward language, I knew I had to read this book. I enjoyed it greatly, the perspective of the main character Queenie one that engaged me and kept me laughing throughout the narrative. It wasn't a book I necessarily will read again or carry quotes around with me in my pocket, but I did enjoy it!

And When She Was Good by Laura Lippman
My second Lippman novel of the year. I enjoyed this one, even when it got a bit preachy about the demise of prostitutes and 'women of ill repute'. The concept was very interesting, a woman living as a madam is considering getting out of the life but has an ex husband who may want her dead for getting him locked up for a murder. Yet another triumph in making characters feel so real it's like, "Wait, do I know this person? I've met this person..." Maybe not one of my favorite Lippman novels, but still good. 

Your Story is Your Power: Free Your Feminine Voice by Elle Luna and Susie Herrick
I am an aspiring writer, and I'm learning that my voice is feminine and that's a GOOD THING. Sometimes, it seems male authors hold the power in the industry. But more and more, I'm realizing that the female perspective is powerful, needed, worthwhile. This book was a great way to think about my past, about what my family and culture and upbringing have contributed to my point of view. What being a woman really MEANS in the context of writing and expressing oneself and how important that really is. I quite enjoyed this, I recommend it for female authors!

The Good House by Tananarive Due
 
This book, so far, is my favorite discovery of the year. I was craving something spooky, something that could transport me to a scary movie, have me peeking through my fingers as I had to psych myself up to flip the next page. This book didn't quite get THAT scary, but the depth of the narrative was so tasty and wonderful to wrap myself up in and get lost. I loved this book and have been singing it's praises since I finished reading it. A great haunted house novel with depth and human experience and history and the pain and beauty of community and family bonds. It's a phenomenal read.

The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager
This is the second Sager book I've read. I was disappointed to find that the author is not actually female. This is a penname for a male author. Regardless, the story was a fun read. Think summer slasher, but in a book form. I enjoyed the title character's resilience and detective work. I liked trying to figure out the killer, but also just enjoying the romp of a summer campground slasher. As you may or may not know, I am a huge slasher movie fan. I wrote my final thesis in college on the subject, actually. So I appreciate the homages to the genre found in Sager's work. 

Dirty Rowdy Thing by Christina Lauren
This book was one I picked up on a Target bookshelf hoping for a dirty, sexy romp as the title and cover art suggests. But the book wasn't that fun to get through. It was a bit of a slog at parts. The sex scenes were well done, but the "drama" between the characters seemed so surface level and a bit ridiculous. There never seemed to be a real reason for them not to be together and yet 95% of the novel demands they stay apart. The reality fishing show subplot? A bit trite. I didn't really enjoy this book beyond the sex scenes. 

Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within by Natalie Goldberg
I absolutely loved reading this book. It inspired me a lot as a writer. I definitely recommend this for anyone who wants to write and maybe feels discouraged or stuck or in a rut. The affirmations in this book are very much fuel to the writer's fire. As another critique put it: Goldberg sees writing as a practice that helps writers comprehend the value of their lives. Can't recommend enough!

Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent and Lead by Brene Brown
Speaking of inspiration, this book was another one that really motivated me this year. There were a few chapters I skipped, I'll be honest, but most of it really spoke to me. I know for myself, personally, I definitely hide from vulnerability. In fact, it used to be a source of pride to me that I never cry in front of anyone. My husband must have thought the world was ending the first time I ever cried in front of him. But Brown counters that with illustrating, perfectly, that vulnerability is not a weakness. It is a strength. And I have to agree. This book is poignant, resonant, and definitely a must read for anyone who needs to learn this valuable life lesson.

The Forest for the Trees: An Editor's Advice to Writers by Betsy Lerner
I had incredibly high expectations for this craft book and maybe that's why I couldn't finish it. I anticipated the perspective of an editor to be eye-opening and educational. And some parts of it were. But the majority of the book spends time with stuff like describing every possible type of writer with cliches and assumptions about their lives. It wasn't helpful to me and so I had to put it down.

The Power by Naomi Alderman
I enjoyed this book a lot. The concept grabbed me and wouldn't let go. What if women discovered a power within themselves where they could shock others to death with the simple touch of their hand? It would certainly level the world powers playing field! It was interesting to explore the idea of a world turned topsy turvy by women having a physical strength that men didn't have. It felt a lot like Handmaid's Tale, I could tell it was inspired by that style of storytelling, and I appreciated that! 

The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson
I'm cheating a bit by including this one as I haven't yet finished it. But I want to remember it and come back to it when I can! I borrowed this as an audio book from my local library and got about halfway through it before I had to return it. The prose is lovely and light, the main character steadfast and determined despite her circumstances and I appreciate her story of delivering books on mule-back to the hills of Kentucky. She faces adversity at every turn, but makes her way past it with humility and a bright outlook.

The Final Girl Support Group by Grady Hendrix
Another male author who snuck into my reading list this year. But as I'm a big fan, I couldn't miss his newest book dropping. Grady Hendrix novels are so fun to read, and this was no exception. As the slasher fan that I am, and especially of the final girl trope in slasher films, this book itched all my scratches and left marks. I loved, loved, loved the unreliable narrator beat in this book and all the homages to the great slasher franchises of the nineties. If you don't know anything about slasher lore, a lot of this book will go over your head, but if you know of them even marginally, you'll notice so many details and nods to them that will tickle your fancy. I know I did! I read this book in a day and a half and would have finished it even more quickly if I didn't have this pesky thing called a nine-to-five getting in my way!

Buy Yourself the Fucking Lilies by Tara Schuster
This is definitely the most influential non-fiction book I've read this year. I'd noticed it on the bookshelf at Target before, but didn't buy it. Something made me take it home with me and I'm glad I did. Schuster has a straightforward style, as if she's writing to YOU and ONLY YOU and I appreciated that a lot. Her stories and experiences highlight how remarkable it is for her to come out on top of her past and taking care of herself. Her life's lessons resonated with me deeply and I'm taking so much for her advice and using it in my own life, including a daily journaling practice. Reading this book rejuvenated me, made me excited to learn more about self care and how to grow myself to be the best possible version of myself, the me I've always wanted to be!

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig
Yes, the female only author thing failed again. This book caught my attention and the premise sounded so unique and different to anything I had ever read that I had to give it a go. I read it in about a day and a half. I couldn't put it down! A woman decides to end her life (not a spoiler, it's revealed on the first page!) and once she does so, she finds herself in the Midnight Library, where one can read their own Book of Regrets and choose ones they'd like to undo in various versions of parallel lives to their own. It was fascinating to see the growth of the main character as she discovers not all her 'missed opportunities' turned out so great, while others did. Seeing her realize through the course of the book that her 'root life' wasn't as devoid of possibility, hope, and love as she had originally thought was beautiful. I really loved this book and see myself picking it back up for another read. 

The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner
I very much enjoyed this book, as it bounced back and forth between a modern-day adventure of a woman leaving a ten-year marriage due to her adulterous husband, and an 18th century rogue apothecary shop dispensing disguised potions to women needing to exercise power over the men in their lives by, well, eliminating them. The modern day story is touching and interesting as our historian protagonist unravels the mystery of the "apothecary murders" and the real story of these murders unravels in the past. I loved the entirely female driven narration and plot, and the way the author made me care for characters I couldn't relate to or really see myself in. 

The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay

As an introduction to Paul Tremblay (another male who snuck into my reading list this year), this book was quite amazing. The pacing of the book was immaculate, and the character so believable and wonderful, that I found myself holding my breath nearly too long as I raced faster and faster trying to get to the end. There is a child character, and her POV was so well-done. Her voice is unique against the adults in the story, and I appreciated the author making sure that happened. At times, she could read a bit too mature for her age, but she really was mature for her age! The twists and turns and gut punches in this novel are intense and this was a book that left me paranoid for a week after finishing!

The Gtownup by Gillian Flynn
This novel is more of a short story, or novella, and it packs a lot of punch in a short span. The ending left me a bit, well... confused? But I very much enjoyed the twists and turns along the way. A phony psychic and ghost 'expert' finds a mark and in the hopes of making some fast cash 'exorcising' the woman's Victorian mansion of evil-doing spirits, the household finds itself in the grip of a demonic presence. Possibly. By the end of the story, you'll be wondering if maybe you're not sharing a room with a demonic entity!

Disappearance at Devil's Rock by Paul Tremblay
I couldn't stay away from Tremblay and my library also carried this book, so I gave it a go! This book has everything I love: true crime drama, suspense, paranormal goings on, supernatural questions. I loved watching this mother who's son disappeared from his group of friends in a national park unravel as days and nights go by with no sign of her son. Is his ghost visiting her and leaving clues? Is she going crazy? I loved the pacing and feel of this book, it very much reminded me of a true crime documentary or an episode of Unsolved Mysteries with tons more details and information than can be gained from a documentary or episode. I couldn't put this book down! It was great!

The Girl with all the Gifts by M.R. Carey
Clearly, by this point, my goal of reading only books by female authors is out the window as yet again, the horror genre is dominated by male authors and I was craving a lot of horror this year. The Girl with All the Gifts was a unique take on a zombie apocalypse, and I enjoyed reading it very much. It asked all the convoluted questions of an apocalypse: who is sacred to keep alive? If a group of children hold the potential key to a cure, do their rights to be treated as human beings go out the window? The book balanced asking these questions quite well against the action and horror elements, and I enjoyed the fact that there were female characters with a lot of the action and moral dilemmas attributed to them. A good read if you like the zombie genre but want something with a bit of flair.

Come Closer by Sara Gran

The hopes I had for this short book were very high, and while it was an engaging read, it didn't grip me as much as I expected it to. The story is told from the point of view of a woman succumbing to demonic possession. All of your standard possession tropes were there, so nothing struck me as surprising or particularly new. In fact, I don't remember a whole lot about this book. I know I didn't hate it, but nothing stands out to me as harrowing or haunting or long-lasting about the imagery or uniqueness of the story.

Survive the Night by Riley Sager

Another serial killer style story from Riley Sager (not a female, much to my dismay!). I enjoyed this one a lot, although several times I just didn't understand why the protagonist didn't just 'get away' from the killer. Sager tries to justify with various thought processes on the part of the protagonist, but I almost put the book down a few times because I just couldn't understand why the main character stayed with the man who was giving her a ride. And the twists were a bit out of left field, but somehow, I made it through the whole book and still found it enjoyable.

The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones

I have seen a lot of mixed reviews about this book, but I have to say, I found it wholly original, engaging, and a very fun read. I loved the idea of this wronged deer coming to wreck the lives of some careless men who killed her as a fearsome creature-woman hybrid. She stalks them, integrates into their lives, terrorizes them. It could have been tighter in places, but I just loved the imagery and the concept of what was happening. I would definitely watch this as a movie! Even the somewhat ridiculous basketball battle scene didn't ruin it for me, I loved it!

The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix

Grady Hendrix has managed to worm his way into my top five favorite authors ever since I read Horrorstor a few years ago. I can't stop reading his books and have loved every single one (except We Sold Our Souls... I couldn't finish that one!) This book, though, is truly great and I loved every page! The creative twist on a traditional vampire, while still honoring the tropes... the humor throughout, but still keeping it frightening. Hendrix is so great at campy horror, I just love reading his stuff. If you like 80s style camp-vamps, you'll love this one.

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

The prose of this book was lyrical and lovely, and had me yearning to spend time in a southern swamp. I normally wouldn't think of a swamp as 'beautiful', but the way the main character shares her love and the way she sees beauty in those surroundings, you can't help but get swept up in it. The unraveling of a murder mystery among the detritus of a poverty stricken family living in desolate isolation was engaging and I was anxious to find out the truth of what happened. I will critique that the court room scenes were a let down, as the main character, who had been so poetic in her observances of the world up to that point, basically went radio silent and the narration no longer felt like it was coming from her. That was a let-down, as I was excited to see how she took in the 'civilized' setting of a court of law. I would still definitely recommend this book, as that wasn't enough to tank it's beauty and charm, suspense, and thrill.

Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett

If you've spent any amount of time around me, you know my favorite author of all time is Terry Pratchett. I adore his Discworld novels and have read and own most all of them. That being said, the Tiffany Aching sub-series of the Discworld novels (Pratchett's foray into YA novels) have never gripped me. I've attempted to read a few of them, and have never gone very far before setting them back on the shelf. I've had Wintersmith on my shelf for quite some time and finally decided to read it. I don't know if it was the weather outside matching the scenery in the book, or that I've not read a new-to-me Pratchett novel for quite some time, but I devoured this book and loved it! Tiffany is such an incredible heroine, despite her age she is brave and intelligent and doesn't take any shit. I loved watching her battle the feelings of love and wonder against saving her family, her fellow witches, and her village. It was great, and the Wee Free Men were a funny little distraction that had me laughing. 

The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon
I didn't know what to expect with this novel and I'm very glad I went in cold, pun intended. This was a creepy and atmospheric book, exploring the lengths to which some will go to see loved ones gone from this world... and doing what they can to never say goodbye again. It was another book I've read this year with three timelines cruising along together, one from the distant past, and two from the present. I couldn't put it down and I very much enjoyed the ride. 

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett
I won't go on too much about this book, as I read it every year, and I've probably gone over it's astounding points a hundred times. It's witty, it's funny, it's a wonderful fantasy take on the concept of Christmas (in the Discworld, known as Hogswatch Night). Pratchett has quite a bit going on in this book but all of it thought provoking, funny, sad, joyful, melancholy, jolly, and other things ending in olly.... He's brilliant and this is one of his masterpieces. Read it. Read it now! Or wait closer to Christmas. That's the best time!

Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert
I found some great non-fiction books this year, and this one did not disappoint. I've not read Eat, Pray, Love by Gilbert, as I assumed it wasn't the type of book I would enjoy... but now I'm not so sure! After reading this book, I was blown away by how inspiring I found it. If you've ever thought to yourself that you would love to live a life nurturing your creativity but you worry you're not good enough or you don't have the time or any number of excuses or worries, you need to read this book. It's within your grasp and you can do it! Don't let fear hold you back!

The Other Black Girl by Zakiya Dalila Harris
I picked this book up and basically didn't put it down until I'd finished it. It was thrilling, eye-opening, thought-provoking, timely, relevant, and important. I loved the story of a Black woman working her way into the publishing industry as she knows there aren't enough Black female publishers. It had hints of Get Out, and I was here for it! Definitely worth a read if you like thrillers!

The Once and Future Witches by Alix E. Harrow

This was my last book of the year, and I actually crossed the threshold into 2022 with a few chapters to go, but I'm putting it on this list since I read about 85% of it in 2021. This book was a joy to read. I loved the concept of witchcraft being hidden within the words of children's rhymes and songs, innocuous phrases that are a part of human history but are actually spells and rituals empowering women who utter them alongside the ways and wills. I loved the three distinct main characters, and the flow of the prose was as magical as the spells the women were casting. It was a long read, but I definitely enjoyed every bit of it and recommend it to anyone who likes some good literary fiction about witches seeking power and freedom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Authors OF ALL TIME

Books I Read in 2020

A Song to Represent Each Decade of My Life